Monday, March 15, 2010

The List

Some say I’m a picky eater. I like to think I have a refined pallet.

Since moving to Germany – I have started to like, even crave, certain foods I wouldn’t touch before. I guess a piece of it can be attributed to eating out. I mean, I have an idea of what I’ve ordered but could never say 100% what will show up when they bring me my dish.

It’s been kind of fun.

I recognize only a handful of words describing the entrée and take a leap of faith. Most of the time, it works out. Sometimes, not so much… and you end up with Pork Knuckle (not my favorite). But hey, now I know the word for Pork Knuckle. It’s a new way to work on my German vocabulary.

Here are some foods that I have started to eat in the last four months:

Tomatoes: I always ate them cooked but never raw. Now, raw, they are a staple and I put them in everything.

Cucumbers: The only thing I’d eat before were pickles. How I missed 32 years of eating this vegetable I don’t know. I’m trying to make up for lost time. Love them!

Kiwis: sweet and delicious. I think the fuzzy skin always turned me off.

Oranges: I like the juice, always have. Could never bring myself to eat the actual fruit though – too much pulp. Now they make a great snack in the afternoon.

White Fish: I haven’t done this one yet… I’m not much of a seafood person but I have decided I really need to try white fish. I’ve been craving it and can’t wait to see what the verdict is. If I end up adding it to the list it will make my seafood-loving-Glen very happy.

Oh! I almost forgot Oatmeal: I think my father has this nearly every morning and I've always thought it was mushy and gross. Now it is my weekend wake-up call, with fresh fruit and brown sugar - Yum!


…who knows what will be next! Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. By white fish, do you mean that picked/salted fish in a jar of oil? If so, talk to Matt about it...he loves that stuff...in fact we have a jar in the fridge now...GROSS in my opinion...but then again...I have never tried it which I guess does make me a picky eater :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed! Maybe you'll even try Arctic Freeze on Thanksgiving. Ask Glen for the recipe.

    All my life I have been oatmeal-challenged (the cereal, not the cookies) but your culinary courage has inspired me. I am going to try oatmeal for breakfast someday VERY SOON. After all, I LOVE brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete